From Agile Alliance you can read an experience report describing "The journey of an agile leadership team - the power of three". This report explains how ING in Netherlands introduces a new virtual leadership team to support the squads - the Product Owner (PO), the Chapter Lead (CL) and the Agile Coach (AC).
The most interesting thing for me is how this leadership team split their responsibilities in order to create drive and motivation in the organisation. They use inspiration from one of my favorite books and authors; "Drive - the surprising truth about what motivates us" written by Dan Pink. This book explains the ingredients needed in order to create motivated employees in "modern organisations" - Purpose, Mastery and Autonomy.
- The Product Owner is responsible for explaining the Purpose of everything the squad are doing linked to overall goals and vision
- The Chapter Lead is responsible for supporting Mastery among the employees within the Chapter
- The Agile Coach is responsible for creating Autonomy and psychological safety within the squad and for each squad member
- Purpose - make sure to support your engineers in finding their individual purpose - a sense of purpose keeps engineers working hard - even when the challenges are overwhelming.
- Mastery - DevOps creates an environment for continuous improvement and this forward movement satisfies the basic human need for mastery.
- Autonomy - in DevOps your team has the autonomy to create a plan for the work and divide the work in a way that suits their strengths as a team.